When I arrive at Osaka International Airport, I would take public transportation to get to my hotel. The travel from Osaka International Airport will take about 50 minutes and will cost about 660 yen, which is about 8 bucks total. I would have to transfer trains on the way from the airport to the hotel.
Mitsui Garden Hotel Osaka Yodoyabashi
This is the hotel that I would be staying in during my time in Osaka. The rate is really good for a hotel that is close to the attractions I would like to visit and the public transportation in the area. The rate per night is 7500 yen, which is about 92 US dollars. The hotel also includes free wireless internet, free slippers, and has a massage parlor. The area that the hotel is located in is also surrounded by many small restaurants and places to get some good food. This hotel is where I would start my adventure through Osaka.
1)Osaka Castle + Osaka Castle Park
I would start my first day by paying a visit to Osaka Castle. The travel to the hotel would take about 40 minutes and the train would be about 4 dollars. Obviously it is an attraction that many tourists go to because it is a piece of Japanese culture. Once the largest castle in Japan when originally built in the 1580s, this castle has an observation platform with city views and a history museum that uses holograms, 3D pictures and other technologies to describe the history of the castle and the period during which it was built. I would probably do like most tourists and take many pictures outside of the castle as well as walk around inside. The cost of getting inside of Osaka Castle is 600 yen for adults, so it costs about 8 bucks. After I am done looking around, I would head to the Osaka Castle Park where many people use to have picnics or to relax. I would most likely have lunch in the park or just go for a stroll. Later I would return to the hotel to get some rest before my next activity.
2) National Bunraku Theatre
The next thing I would do is head to the National Bunraku Theatre in Osaka from my hotel. This would be my late night activity of the night. It would take about 12mins on the train and would cost 200 yen, so about 3 dollars. I would go to watch a traditional Japanese puppet play. This is something that I have watched on videos, but to go to a performance in person would be way better. Puppet Theatre is a part of Japanese history that has come a long way. Bunraku was founded in Osaka in 1684, so to not only watch puppet theatre is great, but to also be in the same place it was founded would be even better. That would conclude my activities for the night.
3) Joypolis
The next day would be an amusement park day, so I would go to Joypolis. I would probably go to the amusement park around noon and spend the day there. The train ride would be about 15 minutes and cost 200 yen, so about another 3 dollars. Joypolis admission has varying rates, but for my purposes since I am a foreigner it would cost 3,500 yen, which is about 45 dollars. This is an unlimited ride past and would last me until 5 o’clock PM. There are also later rates which are cheaper which run between 5 to 8 and then 8 to 12. Joypolis is actually run by SEGA the game company and is well known for its many virtual reality games. Some games that I would really like to play are the space mission virtual reality game, as well as the bumper car game where you are split in teams and score points by shooting team with ball that are located in the arena. By the end of the day I am guessing I would probably be tired and want to get some sleep for my long third day.
4)Abeno Seimei Shrine
My third day would be spent at the Abeno Seimei Shrine and the area around it. I was unable to find the exact location and way to travel to the site, but I am sure it would cost the same on the train and it is in close range of the hotel. The reason I am so interested in visiting this site is because it is referenced in this anime, Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi. The anime is one of my favorites and I feel that for me to visit the area for which the anime is based off of would be cool. The shrine itself is a religious site that is dedicated to Abe no Seimei, who worked for the government in the Heian period, but he was brilliant and it was said he had mystical powers. His life is well documented and there are some shrines in other parts of Japan. The one in Osaka is the one that is referenced in the anime as well as one of the areas believed to be his birthplace. After I am done visiting the shrine and seeing the surrounding area, I would then travel to another section of Osaka.
5) Dotonbori
The last thing that I would do would take place on the night of my third day in Osaka. I would travel to Dotonbori. From the hotel the train would cost 350 yen, which is about 3 dollars. The train ride would take about 40 minutes. Dotonbori is a nightlife area located in Osaka. It is filled with theatres, restaurants, cafes, bars, arcades, and nightclubs. This area is probably a place where I would spend most of my money on entertainment in the arcades and theatre. Then be off to waste whatever is left at the bars and nightclubs. Hopefully I would save enough money to get back to the hotel.
These are 5 things that I would like to do and experience if I were in Osaka, Japan
When we got assigned to this project, I was only thinking of visiting "cultural"places like the temples and shrines. But reading your blog made me think differently. It is interesting how you are going to go watch a play, and go to the amusement park! I think you will really enjoy Osaka :)
ReplyDeleteWatching a Bunraku performance seems like a very interesting experience. I hadn't thought of viewing a traditional theatrical art performance for one of my places/things of interest, but that's definitely something I'd also like to experience.
ReplyDeleteHaving been to Joypolis, I can definitely say it's worth a visit. It's got like 3 floors if I remember right and the whole place is just littered with games, activities, and an assortment of stuff, plus it's connected to a shopping complex where you can get food so it's really convenient. They had a new attraction called "prison break" which is exactly what it sounds like, it's a simulated prison where a guide takes your group into and go through a series of escape routes and traps and stuff. It's really cool.
You and Bunraku? That's cool to about. It's definitely not what we in America traditionally think of as theater.
ReplyDeleteJoypolis sounds so cool! Shoot...I want to go... I've never played any virtual reality games before. If you're going to blow your money on something, I guess Joypolis would be a good thing to blow it on. Save some for the nightlife though!
First of all- can I come with? This sounds super fun. I actually was thinking of picking Osaka too- so high five to you. The Bunraku theatre sounds really cool, and I think the play would be really interesting to watch even if you can't understand it all. I've only seen Bunraku on video tape- it must be really cool live. Also, the castle with the 3D holograms sounds really awesome. I've never heard of something like that at a tourist attraction. Only in Japan I guess! :D Plus, have fun at that massage parlor in your hotel. That would be really nice after a day at joyopolis. lol.
ReplyDelete