Friday, April 1, 2011

PAPER TOPIC

I am currently looking at Sports in Japan. I don't know what angle to focus on whether I should focus on the importance of sports in Japan or choose a specific sport. I am currently thinking that if I had to choose a sport I would choose sumo wrestling and what it stands for. I did a lot of reading and it is interesting how and why it was founded as well as how it is practiced in culture today. If anyone has any thoughts feel free to leave comments on angles you think I could use to approach my paper at.

1 comment:

  1. With regard to sumo wrestling, you should obviously learn its history and how the sport is conducted today, including recruiting, training, rankings, tournaments, etc. A big issue in recent years has been the growth in the number of non-Japanese athletes. You might also want to see if there are collegiate and amateur leagues. For the experiential part, you should find out about where the "stables" are in Tokyo and how to visit them (if they permit this). You should also figure out how to see sumo in its "professional" guise but perhaps also in more amateur settings. Also look into whether there are any museums, etc. Are there any places that would let you "try" sumo? And finally, you might look into the recent "scandals" associated with sumo. That's a lot. Just make sure that you include an experiential component in your final project.

    ReplyDelete